I was going to let Lola do a recap of her Los Angeles odyssey - and truly, if you remember your high school epic poem studies, it really was an odyssey in the most basic sense of the word - but something tells me that I should wish her a happy birthday instead. So, Happy Birthday, Lola!
Things you should know about Lola and me when we were growing up:
- I didn't really like her . . . resent is too strong of a word, but I liked being an only child;
- our mom made me baby-sit and didn't pay me since it was family;
- any kind of bizarre food combo, I made and Lola (and the others) had to eat it;
- some of my favorite photos of her involve costumes of one type or the other; and
- occasionally the games that we played involved lots of running so that she (and the others) would tire out faster (see number two).
Things you should know about Lola as an adult:
- it's rare that a day goes by when I don't talk to her, and I don't pick up other calls when I am talking to her (fine . . . sometimes if the girls are calling I will);
- she has one of the best grasps on how to parent without smothering and has two awesome little boys to show for it;
- she's the one who makes the more "bizarre" foods now, but they all turn out really good;
- some of my favorite photos of her involve her eyes being closed; and
- I blame her for the latest Wii craze . . . but in a good way!
So, enjoy your day, Lola! Happy Birthday - sit on your ass all damn day . . . after your weekend, you deserve nothing less! And with all that hype, you really need to pull a post together.
PS - Before you settle into the couch, mail me that shawl . . . I'll block it in the newly cleaned attic, which is where I am headed (wish me luck!).