For the sake of posting on Leap Day . . . and because Jacki tagged me . . . a very brief and silly Six Unimportant Things meme. Lola is trying to get Tuck to sleep during the day (night's? not too bad) but all the moms out there know that it's kind of like herding cats. Anyway here goes:
1. I am not afraid of heights, but spiral staircases send me into a near panic attack. Going up? Not a problem. Coming down? Oh my! Imagine me taking in the Monument in London, essentially a large column with a central spiral staircase. The photo was from the top looking down about four years ago when the Flyer and I were visiting the Other Sister and her family and I was on the verge of tears and hyperventilating when I reached the bottom.
2. I can't drink anything with ice in it since our mother never would order our sodas (fine . . . pop for all the midwesterners) with ice. Ralph Nader did an "expose" about saving money by ordering drinks without the ice in the '70s and our mom is nothing if not thrifty. It kind of stuck so I always say, "No ice." So did the love of Nader . . . not sure how this year will play out.
3. I made 50 macrame wreaths out of green polyester twine and very large jump rings for curtains. They took forever, but I gave them away for Christmas presents when I was 10. My mother has the only remaining one; it's mine the next time I am home for Christmas.
4. My mom's initials, my initials, and my oldest daughter's initials are JL and the last name. I thought it was a tradition . . . I was wrong.
5. I have a slight thing for U2 and have seen them more times than a person should really be allowed. I named our oldest after Bono's oldest . . . partially because it begins with a J.
6. I cheat fantastically at euchre but only if I am partnered with Lola. We have a pretty sweet system, and our husbands only know about half of it. The Flyer and I can't be partners - period. I wind up calling him all sorts of vile names and then lose anyway. I hate playing "screw the dealer" and still remember the first time that I went it alone and won.
Feel like a meme? Just to pass the time? Have at it and send me the link. I love learning tid-bits about other knitters and bloggers. Eventually Lola and I will get around to a "100 Things About Us" but for now this will do.
PS - wish me luck . . . the girls are SATing tomorrow so I have ample time to knit the sleeves for Beaner's sweater.